Quinoa (that’s KEEN-wah) is my new favorite superfood. It’s so easy to use – it has a pretty mild flavor, so you can incorporate it into anything. Cooking it is a breeze – it cooks the same as white rice. And, of course, its most important quality: it’s a complete protein. Whaddup.
This salad is nice and summery, not to mention super filling. One bowl of it was enough for me for dinner. I ate it hot, right after the quinoa cooked, but it would probably be good cold too.
I made a bunch of changes to the original recipe, mostly because I was too lazy to go to the super market, but it came out delicious. Also, I increased the amount of quinoa because the original looked like veggies with quinoa, not quinoa with veggies, which is what I wanted, and this had to feed a family of four.
The original recipe can be found here.
1 can black beans
1 can corn
1/4 red onion, diced
1/2 bell pepper, diced (I used green, but red might have been better)
1 green onion, chopped
1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
Mango salsa (My package was half-eaten since my mom decided she needed a snack this afternoon, boooooo) – optional
1 1/2 cup uncooked white quinoa
Juice of 1/2 lemon
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp cumin
Rice cooker (the quinoa can be cooked on the stove, but this way is easier I think)
Not all the ingredients made it into the photo…
1. Rinse the quinoa and cook in rice cooker with 3 cups water.
2. Drain and rinse the beans and corn.
3. Chop your veggies!
4. In the biggest bowl you can find, mix the beans, corn, and the rest of the veggies.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, and salt.
6. When the quinoa has finished cooking, toss it in with the veggies. Pour in the dressing and mix. Serve.