What happens when you guys stress out? I get canker sores. Really bad ones. I have two right now that are almost healed, but they were really killing me a couple days ago. I hope none of you have that problem. It makes eating really difficult.
I made these the same day as the biscotti, when I should have been writing a paper on Chinese opera. I took the whole batch with me to dance rehearsal that night, and they were a huge hit. I’ll definitely make these again, even though they’re the reason I had to stay up until 5am writing that stupid paper. Whatever, I got an A. Hah.
Chocolate Orange Cookies
Makes about 2 dozen. Original recipe here.
zest of 1 orange
1 1/3 C sugar, divided
10 Tbsp butter, softened
1 1/2 C flour
1/3 C cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
~6 oz chocolate chips (optional – I used them but next time I won’t)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Combine 1 tsp orange zest and 1/3 C sugar and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream remaining sugar, butter, and orange zest.
3. Mix in egg.
4. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, salt, powder, and soda.
5. Stir dry into wet. If using, add chocolate chips.
6. Roll into 1 1/2 inch balls, flatten, and roll in orange sugar.
7. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet 9-11 min.
The sugar gives them a crunchier outside with a softer inside. They were all eaten very quickly, so I don’t know what they’d be like if left until the next day. These are so good, though, that I don’t think you’ll have a problem getting rid of them if you need to.