I’m so excited! I’ve gotten so many new views since I posted my mini cheesecakes on Foodgawker last week. Over 600 blog views just that day, and almost a thousand Foodgawker views! I can’t believe it. The fact that I’m even getting my submissions accepted is amazing – it means my photography is getting better! I know when I started this blog last year my pictures were awful. I still have a lot of room for improvement, of course, but I’m very happy!
I baked these with a friend last week. They were originally supposed to be cookies, but they came out a little more like cake than I expected. They were absolutely delicious, but I think to call them “cookies” would be a little misleading.
Chai Applesauce Cupcake Tops
Makes 2-3 dozen. Adapted from here.
for the cupcake tops
2 1/2 C flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 bag chai tea
1 C brown sugar
1 stick butter
1 C + 2 Tbsp applesauce
for the frosting
2 Tbsp butter
2 bags chai tea
2 Tbsp boiling water
2 Tbsp milk
2-3 C powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Grease cookie sheet.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, spices, and tea (crush a bit before opening the bag).
3. In another bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Stir in egg applesauce.
4. Slowly pour flour mixture into applesauce mixture and mix well.
5. Drop spoonfuls onto cookie sheet and bake 10-12 minutes, until edges are brown. Let cool completely.
6. When cookies/cupcake tops are almost cool, begin the frosting by browning the butter in a small saucepan.
7. While butter is browning, steep tea bags in water.
8. In a medium bowl combine butter, tea, milk, and spices. Slowly add powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached, adding more milk if necessary.
9. Coat cookies with a thin layer of frosting.