I’m so behind on my blogging! Things got crazy busy the past few weeks. Interviews, family visits, and finishing up work. Today was my first day back at school, which is bad because summer is way more fun. But it’s also good because I’ll probably get back to blogging more than just desserts, now that I’m back to cooking for myself.
A couple weeks ago my coworkers requested cupcakes. I’ve been wanting to try out this flavor for awhile, and I had all the major ingredients, so I decided to give it a shot. No, there are no birds in this recipe, although a few people actually did ask me if there were. Think tropical carrot cake.
Makes one dozen.
for the cake
1 1/2 C flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 stick butter
1 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 large bananas, mashed
2/3 C crushed or finely chopped pineapple (I used frozen)
1/3 C applesauce
1/3 C raisins
for the frosting
8 oz light cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
~1 C powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking soda. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Stir in vanilla and eggs.
4. Gradually add dry into wet to combine.
5. Stir in banana, pineapple, applesauce, and raisins.
6. Bake 20-25 min, or until a toothpick comes out clean. The cakes should be dense.
7. Once cupcakes are cool, mix cream cheese, vanilla, and powdered sugar until smooth. Frost cupcakes and serve.