Living in this new house is pretty fun, although it means I’m know a half hour walk from my Weekend Breakfast partner instead of just up one flight of stairs. It might not be a consistent weekly thing, but we managed to make it happen last weekend! All with easy ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen, since we just moved in and haven’t had time to shop for any weird ingredients yet.
Stuffed French Toast with Berry Sauce
for the toast
8-12 slices whole wheat bread
2/3 C skim milk
cinnamon and nutmeg to taste
1 package light cream cheese
for the sauce
12 oz frozen mixed berries
sugar (optional, to taste)
1. In a bowl (or even better, an 8×8 pan) mix together eggs, milk, and spices.
2. Soak both sides of a slice of bread in the eggs, and fry over medium heat. Repeat with all remaining slices.
3. While you’re frying toast, start the sauce by putting the frozen fruit with a tablespoon or two of water in a small saucepan over high heat. Stir occasionally, adding sugar to taste.
4. Make “sandwiches” with the toast by spreading cream cheese on slices and pairing together.
5. Serve toast while still hot with berries on top.