Leaving California is always hard, especially when I know there’s snow waiting for me back in Pittsburgh. Earlier this week the temperature got down to single digits in the daytime, and we’ve got huge icicles hanging right above our front door! It’s miserable.
I had a class canceled the other morning, so I decided to make some breakfast for my roommates with some leftover fruit I had sitting in the fridge. These came out great! Perfect use of my extra hour.
Makes 8 scones.
3 C flour
1/3 C sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 stick butter, cold
zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
1/3 C milk
~3/4 C diced strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. In a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients.
3. Cut butter into flour mixture until completely combined. It should be crumbly.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and lemon.
5. Add milk mixture and strawberries to the dough, kneading until combined. Add flour as necessary.
6. Press dough to a disk about 1 inch thick. Slice into 8 wedges.
7. Bake 15-20 min. Serve warm with butter, honey, or applesauce.