Gluten free, hooray! I’ve definitely made gluten free things before – mochi, macarons, probably everything I do with quinoa, but I’ve never specifically set out to make something GF before. I have a couple of friends on GF diets who rarely get to enjoy what I make, so I decided to try it out.
When I was home for winter break, I happened to look at the GF baking section at Sprouts. All kinds of things were on sale, so I picked up a bag of brownie mix just to try. Of course, I can’t *just* use a mix… How boring is that? I had to put my own spin on it!
The results were phenomenal. I know sometimes GF baked goods are a little gummy, or taste like whatever non-wheat flour they’re made with. These tasted like real brownies. No one could tell they were GF, and were surprised when I told them the truth! I’d love to try baking GF from scratch sometime, but for now I’ll stick with these. They were delicious!
Cream Cheese Brownies
Gluten free. Makes 1 9×13 pan.
1 package of your favorite GF brownie mix (I used Namaste brand)
whatever ingredients called for by brownie mix
8oz cream cheese
1/3 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1. Grease a 9×13 baking dish. Preheat oven as directed on brownie package.
2. In a large bowl, mix brownies as directed. Set aside.
3. In a slightly smaller bowl, mix cream cheese, egg, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth.
4. Pour brownie mix into pan. Spoon dollops of cream cheese on top of brownies, distributing evenly but leaving some brownie mix showing.
5. Run through mix back and forth with a knife to create a swirled pattern.
6. Bake as directed on package, until a knife comes out clean.