Chinese New Year is coming up this Friday! It’s the year of the horse. Some of you might celebrate, some of you might not, but anyone can still enjoy some yummy Chinese cookies this week!
These have a really interesting texture: crisp, flaky, dense, and melt in your mouth all at the same time. But there really isn’t much to them!
Chinese Almond Cookies
Makes 2-3 dozen.
2 C ground almond meal
2 C flour
3/4 C powdered sugar, sifted
1 C light oil
1 egg, beaten
red food coloring – optional
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
3. Slowly add in oil, mixing well until a paste forms. It will be slightly crumbly but you should be able to form it into a ball without it falling apart.
4. Roll into 1 inch balls and place a couple of inches apart on cookie sheet. Slightly flatten.
5. Dip the back of a chopstick in food coloring and press into the center of each cookie.
6. Brush tops with egg.
7. Bake for 15-20 min until golden brown, rotating halfway through. Let cool and enjoy!
Happy Chinese New Year! 恭喜发财!