Last weekend I went back to Pittsburgh to visit my friends and hang out during CMU Carnival. Obviously that meant I had to bring baked goods. So I went down the gluten free route so everyone could enjoy! They’re a little crumbly, but I think the glaze evens it out nicely. They definitely made a nice “thanks for letting me sleep on your futon for five nights” present!
Plus, a couple weeks ago I got this awesome cookie stamp at the Fab.com warehouse sale in Chelsea market for only $2! What a steal! I plan on making lots and lots of “EAT ME” cookies. My only regret is not buying the one that said “HOME MADE” to go with it!!
Glazed Lemon Sugar Cookies
Makes about 2 dozen large cookies. Gluten free. Adapted from here.
for the cookies
1 stick butter, room temperature
1/3 C coconut oil
1 1/4 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
juice of 2 lemons (minus 1 Tbsp for glaze)
zest of 1 lemon
3 1/2 C gluten free flour (I used Trader Joe’s)
for the glaze
1/2 C powdered sugar, sifted
zest of 1 lemon
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter, coconut oil, and sugar until blended.
3. Mix in egg, vanilla, juice, and zest.
4. Gradually add in flour, mixing well until dough is formed.
5. With a spoon or cookie scoop, form balls about 1.5 inch diameter and put on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten with your hand or a cookie stamp to about .5 inch thick.
6. Bake 15-18 minutes until browned on the edges.
7. Transfer cookies to a wire rack. While they are cooling, make the glaze by whisking powdered sugar, juice, and zest until smooth.
8. Brush each cookie with a thick layer of glaze and let harden. Enjoy!