The weather is really starting to heat up, which means I’ve been moving away from chocolate. Something about 80 degree weather and no air conditioning makes me want fruit… Am I the only one that gets this way in the summer? If only I still had my ice cream maker! I may have to buy a new one to get through this New York heat.
Lemon Coconut Bars
Makes one 9″x13″ pan. Can be gluten free.
for the crust
1 1/2 C flour (I used gluten free)
1/2 C powdered sugar
1 1/2 stick butter, cold
for the filling
1 1/3 C sugar
1/2 C lemon juice
1 tsp baking powder
1 C shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and lightly grease a 9″x13″ pan.
2. In a medium bowl, mix flour and powdered sugar, and cut in butter until a crumbly dough is formed.
3. Press dough into the bottom of the pan. Bake for 15 min.
4. While the crust is in the oven, beat eggs, sugar, lemon juice, and baking powder in a large bowl.
5. Pour lemon filling over baked crust. Sprinkle coconut on top.
6. Bake for another 20-25 minutes until filling is set. Let cool, slice, and enjoy.
Last weekend I went back to Pittsburgh to visit my friends and hang out during CMU Carnival. Obviously that meant I had to bring baked goods. So I went down the gluten free route so everyone could enjoy! They’re a little crumbly, but I think the glaze evens it out nicely. They definitely made a nice “thanks for letting me sleep on your futon for five nights” present!
Plus, a couple weeks ago I got this awesome cookie stamp at the Fab.com warehouse sale in Chelsea market for only $2! What a steal! I plan on making lots and lots of “EAT ME” cookies. My only regret is not buying the one that said “HOME MADE” to go with it!!
Glazed Lemon Sugar Cookies
Makes about 2 dozen large cookies. Gluten free. Adapted from here.
for the cookies
1 stick butter, room temperature
1/3 C coconut oil
1 1/4 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
juice of 2 lemons (minus 1 Tbsp for glaze)
zest of 1 lemon
3 1/2 C gluten free flour (I used Trader Joe’s)
for the glaze
1/2 C powdered sugar, sifted
zest of 1 lemon
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter, coconut oil, and sugar until blended.
3. Mix in egg, vanilla, juice, and zest.
4. Gradually add in flour, mixing well until dough is formed.
5. With a spoon or cookie scoop, form balls about 1.5 inch diameter and put on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten with your hand or a cookie stamp to about .5 inch thick.
6. Bake 15-18 minutes until browned on the edges.
7. Transfer cookies to a wire rack. While they are cooling, make the glaze by whisking powdered sugar, juice, and zest until smooth.
8. Brush each cookie with a thick layer of glaze and let harden. Enjoy!
Since I got back from my trip, I’ve really been focusing on getting back into shape. I exercise everyday, and try to eat healthy foods. That’s why I haven’t posted my usual cookie and cupcake recipes! But I promise they’ll be back soon ;)
This recipe is really great especially since it’s been so hot here in LA. It may technically be fall already, but it’s still 95 degrees outside! This dish is completely raw, so no sweating over the stove.
I eat this as a meal, but if you want something a little heartier it would still make a great side dish, or even a healthy afternoon snack.
Garlic Lemon Zucchini Noodles
Vegan, gluten free. Serves 1 as a meal or 2 as a side dish.
1 medium zucchini
handful (6-7) cherry tomatoes, halved
4-5 leaves fresh basil, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 Tbsp olive oil
splash balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1. Make zucchini noodles using a julienne peeler. Put in a medium mixing bowl with tomatoes and basil, and set aside.
2. Combine all remaining ingredients in a small bowl to make a vinaigrette.
3. Toss noodles with vinaigrette until completely coated. Enjoy!