I had a wonderful Thanksgiving last week at home where it was 85 degrees and sunny. Perfect.
I didn’t actually eat any Tofurkey though. Just pigged out on sides – stuffing, green beans, sweet potatoes…. Mmmmmm. Getting hungry just thinking about it. For dinner I was in charge of the green beans and (of course) the dessert.
Cinnamon Maple Ice Cream
3/4 C milk
1 1/2 C heavy cream
1/2 C maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C sugar
1. In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients except sugar. Gradually add sugar, whisking until dissolved.
2. Pour into the bowl of an ice cream maker and churn until frozen.
3. Move ice cream to another container and freeze at least 2 hours.
4. Serve alone or on top of your favorite pie – pumpkin, apple, etc.
I did a bit of shopping while I was home and picked up a new donut pan for only $6.50! So exciting. I already had a mini donut pan, which I love, but sometimes you just need some regular sized donuts too. Priorities, right?
It’s still pumpkin season, and will be until I get tired of baking with pumpkin (which will never happen). They still have giant displays of canned pumpkin at the grocery store, which I take as an invitation to post more pumpkin recipes than anyone actually wants or needs to read. Hence this recipe.
Makes about 1 dozen regular donuts (or 6 regular and 1 dozen mini). Can also be made as muffins.
1 C sugar
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 C vegetable oil
1/3 C applesauce
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 C pumpkin puree
1 1/2 C flour
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease donut pans.
2. In a large bowl, combine sugars, vanilla, oil, applesauce, and eggs. Mix until smooth.
3. Stir in powder, spices, and pumpkin.
4. Gradually add flour, mixing until a thick batter forms.
5. Fill pans almost completely full and bake until a tester comes out clean. Approximately 15 minutes for mini donuts and 25 for regular donuts.
6. Once donuts are almost cool, remove from pans. Fill a bowl with cinnamon sugar and coat donuts one at a time. Serve immediately.
I woke up unreasonably early before class on Monday to make these. Needless to say my roommates were appreciative.